Office 365 website on RDS



  • I built a remote desktop server on Server 2012 R2. Things seem to work really well, except I put an icon on the desktop that takes them to:
    https://login.microsoftonline.com
    9 times out of 10 it either times out, or loads in about 20 seconds. It doesn't matter if I go to https://outlook.office.com or the other o365 sites. 1 out of 10 times it will load in a reasonable amount of time.

    This is using IE or Chrome. Any other site loads in 2 seconds. ping times to outlook.office.com are under 21 ms.

    Any ideas on what to try next?



  • @Mike-Davis said in Office 365 website on RDS:

    I built a remote desktop server on Server 2012 R2. Things seem to work really well, except I put an icon on the desktop that takes them to:
    https://login.microsoftonline.com
    9 times out of 10 it either times out, or loads in about 20 seconds. It doesn't matter if I go to https://outlook.office.com or the other o365 sites. 1 out of 10 times it will load in a reasonable amount of time.

    This is using IE or Chrome. Any other site loads in 2 seconds. ping times to outlook.office.com are under 21 ms.

    Any ideas on what to try next?

    Have you tried outlook.com/domainname? I find that works almost every time.



  • @coliver same results with that.



  • Check and make sure the web browser isn't trying to use hardware acceleration?



  • Thanks to those of you that offered a suggestion. I built a second RDS server and applied my group policy and browsing was fine. I then started to think about what I needed to do to move it in to production and replace the one that had the browsing issue. Then it hit me.... I have load balancing on my SonicWall. RDS is mapped through the firewall on https. Therefore requests that went out over https could go out over either interface, but always came back on one. This is why it would sometimes work. This is also why most other sites would work, but https (in this case Office 365 which always goes over https) would only work once in a while. Adding a route to force all traffic from the RDS server out over the interface that traffic will come in on fixed the problem.