Data Export from Database



  • I have a quick project I would like to work on.

    I want to take a multi tab Excel file which has radio frequencies and be able to select which I want and have it exported to a csv file so that I can easily import it into the radio programming software.

    I haven't started building the master file yet, but would rather do this once as opposed to creating all the data and then having to recreate in something else.

    Ideally I would like something that was cross platform Linux and Windows.



  • LibreOffice is cross compatible.

    The only trouble you'll have is ensuring that your Export function works in both Libre and Office. CSV is a universal format so that isn't a problem.



  • I agree, the first things to avoid once you are talking about cross compatibility are MS Office, Excel, etc. Those are specifically not cross compatible.

    LibreOffice Calc is super easy and very powerful to use, works mostly just like Excel, but runs everywhere and is free.

    Could be a spot for a simple project in Python or similar too.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    I agree, the first things to avoid once you are talking about cross compatibility are MS Office, Excel, etc. Those are specifically not cross compatible.

    LibreOffice Calc is super easy and very powerful to use, works mostly just like Excel, but runs everywhere and is free.

    Could be a spot for a simple project in Python or similar too.

    Python, interesting. Don't know anything about it.

    Wonder if I could just use a spreadsheet and run an export using excel / liber office.



  • @gjacobse said:

    Wonder if I could just use a spreadsheet and run an export using excel / liber office.

    Yes, you can.



  • As someone that does not code - would you have any suggestions on how to perform the following:

    • import multiple CSV files to database
    • sorting
    • export to single CSV file


  • @gjacobse said:

    As someone that does not code - would you have any suggestions on how to perform the following:

    • import multiple CSV files to database
    • sorting
    • export to single CSV file

    A CSV mimics a spreadsheet, not a database. It is flat. Importing a CSV into a database on its own doesn't really make any sense. What is the reason for having a database if it CAN be converted to CSV?



  • The final product is the wish to have multiple data sets that can be 'merged' into one CSV file to be programmed to the device.

    Data would consist of:

    • NOAA Radio Frequencies
    • GMRS/FRS Radio Frequencies
    • EMT/Fire
    • Marine / FAA
    • ARES - Amateur Radio Emergency Service Frequencies

    This is for a group of people who do some SAR (search and rescue), EMT support.



  • @gjacobse said:

    The final product is the wish to have multiple data sets that can be 'merged' into one CSV file to be programmed to the device.

    Data would consist of:

    • NOAA Radio Frequencies
    • GMRS/FRS Radio Frequencies
    • EMT/Fire
    • Marine / FAA
    • ARES - Amateur Radio Emergency Service Frequencies

    This is for a group of people who do some SAR (search and rescue), EMT support.

    You'll need programming for that. That's not an export, that's a conversion between data types.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    You'll need programming for that. That's not an export, that's a conversion between data types.

    Would setting this up in Python perform better or just use Excel?



  • @gjacobse said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    You'll need programming for that. That's not an export, that's a conversion between data types.

    Would setting this up in Python perform better or just use Excel?

    Probably depends on your skill set. As I am a moderate Python programmer and a worthless Excel user, for me Python is worlds easier.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    Probably depends on your skill set. As I am a moderate Python programmer and a worthless Excel user, for me Python is worlds easier.

    I hate Python, don't ask me.



  • Python is generally considered good for this task but lots of languages would do the work just as well. Ruby, JS, Perl, Tcl and even big platform languages like C# or Java. Whatever language you now will be better than one that you do not.



  • If you learn a language just to do this, Python would be my recommendation. Specifically well suited to learning, good for doing small scripts of this nature and good for list processing like this. It's just a good fit. But yeah, if you know some other language already, definitely go with that.



  • I haven't 'taken' to any type of programming since Basic on the Apple ][e or batch in DOS 3.1 / Windows 95....

    Looking at code makes me 'dizzy'...



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    If you learn a language just to do this, Python would be my recommendation. Specifically well suited to learning, good for doing small scripts of this nature and good for list processing like this. It's just a good fit. But yeah, if you know some other language already, definitely go with that.

    I dislike any whitespace delineated language.



  • @JaredBusch said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    If you learn a language just to do this, Python would be my recommendation. Specifically well suited to learning, good for doing small scripts of this nature and good for list processing like this. It's just a good fit. But yeah, if you know some other language already, definitely go with that.

    I dislike any whitespace delineated language.

    I do hate that aspect of it, very Fortrany, but it does make readability a clearer priority for the newbies and can have benefits, especially when working in teams of non-full time programmers.