My new website



  • It did take a second for the background pic to load for me as well.



  • Maybe it is not using a CDN yet.



  • And what a splendid day it is today, nice and sunny considering it's getting to the winter here down under. (where I am)

    Not done any optimising yet, due to having paid commitments. As it's my personal one, I do not provide myself the professionalism that I provide clients 🙂

    Homepage is a bit slow due to the excessive image on there, hasn't been compressed for the tinterweb yet.

    Don't really have a lot of plugins, but I will be stripping out what I do not need and optimising the code where possible.

    No CDN yet as Scott has pointed out, plus the hosting is in the UK, with a company I (and my colleague) have around 300 sites with, but will be changing from, as I am finding extra performance issue and support is not as what it used to be.

    I'll be showing a before and after optimised website matrix on the blog, once I have finished so people can see the difference and how I went about it.

    Sorry about this, I sound all mature and I have just bored myself too much.



  • Gosh I love W3 Cache, I tend to use this for the GZIP compression, instead of doing it through the .HTACCESS file (even though the latter is my preferred method. On the About me page, gone from Page Speed Grade of 53% to 96%.

    I'll sort out the rest later and put a blog post on it.

    🙂



  • @Gabi said:

    No CDN yet as Scott has pointed out, plus the hosting is in the UK, with a company I (and my colleague) have around 300 sites with, but will be changing from, as I am finding extra performance issue and support is not as what it used to be.

    Two questions.

    1. What is CDN?
    2. Who are you currently using and who are you moving to? I'm about to setup some websites for some new projects and I've signed up with tsohost.com. I've heard some good things about them, but they are suspiciously cheap - 4 Windows sites for £2.99 a month in total.


  • @Carnival-Boy a CDN is a Content Delivery Network. Akamai, Rackspace, Amazon and CloudFlare are big CDN names.



  • OK. Question 3. What is a Content Delivery Network? (and more importantly, do I need one?)



  • @Carnival-Boy said:

    OK. Question 3. What is a Content Delivery Network? (and more importantly, do I need one?)

    Are you delivering content to anyone? We use them for every site we have. They speed data delivery and reduce load on your servers.

    They are what they sound like.... They deliver your content on your behalf.

    Simple example is an image on your website. Rather than handing out that big file once for every request on your site, a CDN will cache that file for you and deliver it to browsers from servers closer to them or on better links.

    In many ways it is like a cache.



  • nice one. which wordpress template did you use ?



  • @Carnival-Boy said:

    @Gabi said:

    No CDN yet as Scott has pointed out, plus the hosting is in the UK, with a company I (and my colleague) have around 300 sites with, but will be changing from, as I am finding extra performance issue and support is not as what it used to be.

    Two questions.

    1. What is CDN?
    2. Who are you currently using and who are you moving to? I'm about to setup some websites for some new projects and I've signed up with tsohost.com. I've heard some good things about them, but they are suspiciously cheap - 4 Windows sites for £2.99 a month in total.

    Sorry for delay, not always getting notified when people reply, frustrating.

    Point 1) has been answered
    Point 2) we will be moving most to tsohost.com (same as you) which is the same company as vida host. Don't worry about the pricing, they are superb.

    In regards to who as for a CDN, I need to find a new provider, need to work out what is the best value for buck. We have nearly 300 sites, so it starts becoming very expensive.

    @Carnival-Boy said:

    @Gabi said:

    No CDN yet as Scott has pointed out, plus the hosting is in the UK, with a company I (and my colleague) have around 300 sites with, but will be changing from, as I am finding extra performance issue and support is not as what it used to be.

    Two questions.

    1. What is CDN?
    2. Who are you currently using and who are you moving to? I'm about to setup some websites for some new projects and I've signed up with tsohost.com. I've heard some good things about them, but they are suspiciously cheap - 4 Windows sites for £2.99 a month in total.


  • @Gabi said:

    What notification are you expecting? It doesn't send emails. I use the "Unread" option to see when new stuff has posted. The "bell" icon is supposed to show notifications but I'm not sure how well that it works.



  • @Gabi said:

    we will be moving most to tsohost.com (same as you) which is the same company as vida host. Don't worry about the pricing, they are superb.

    Excellent. That's good to know.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @Gabi said:

    What notification are you expecting? It doesn't send emails. I use the "Unread" option to see when new stuff has posted. The "bell" icon is supposed to show notifications but I'm not sure how well that it works.

    user x replied in your thread.
    user x quoted you in thread.

    That is all I need, standard stuff in other forums.

    Notifications should be standard, but it informs me of any thread/any post made, which defeats the object.



  • @scottalanmiller said:

    @Gabi said:

    What notification are you expecting? It doesn't send emails. I use the "Unread" option to see when new stuff has posted. The "bell" icon is supposed to show notifications but I'm not sure how well that it works.

    user x replied in your thread.
    user x quoted you in thread.

    That is all I need, standard stuff in other forums.

    Notifications should be standard, but it informs me of any thread/any post made, which defeats the object.



  • @Gabi said:

    @scottalanmiller said:

    @Gabi said:

    What notification are you expecting? It doesn't send emails. I use the "Unread" option to see when new stuff has posted. The "bell" icon is supposed to show notifications but I'm not sure how well that it works.

    user x replied in your thread.
    user x quoted you in thread.

    That is all I need, standard stuff in other forums.

    Notifications should be standard, but it informs me of any thread/any post made, which defeats the object.

    You mean it shows too much?


Log in to reply